Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Stars at Night....

Some of my favorite memories have to do with star gazing at night. I grew up out in the country away from the lights of the city and you could see the stars almost every night. That's where I learned to pick out the constellations. My favorite constellation has always been Pleiades (The Seven Sisters).

Every September we used to go to Horn Creek in Westcliffe, CO, a rustic family camp in the foothills of the Sangre De Cristo mountain range. I can remember taking walks at night and almost being able to reach up and touch the stars. The sky was filled with a blanket of stars every night.

The summer after my freshman year of college I traveled on the West Coast with Worldview Academy. We spent numerous nights that summer looking at stars. Several of the small group leaders would have t-time under the stars with our students. We'd write our student post cards under the stars together. We'd also just sit under the stars and talk together. It was under the stars that friendships were formed that will last a lifetime.

Last night there were no stars out, but it was a beautiful spring night and the moon was bright, so we lay in the yard and were mostly just quiet contemplating. It's not often that there is time to just be quiet....it was nice. After that we sat on the porch swing and played with Ben the dog and talked to Seth for a while. It was a good night.

I'm excited that Spring has come to Norman and all the nights ahead of looking at the stars.


“I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.”

Og Mandino--American Essayist and Psychologist, 1923-1996


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad that I was part of this "we".

Anonymous said...

Update...